EXTRACTS FROM O'DONOVAN'S SURVEY OF IRELAND 1860
Situated about 12 miles east of Limerick City. It is bounded East and North by the county of Tipperary; West by the parishes of Tuogh and Doon in the barony of Owneybeg; and South by the parishes of Oola and Grean.
This portion of the parish is about 7 miles long by 5 broad, and a great portion of it is mountainous and hill land. Its principal road is that leading East and West through its centre from Cappamore to Cappawhite. A few minor roads transverse it in different directions.
Contains 276 acres, which are arable. Soil partly deep, without limestone, producing patotoes, corn, wheat and flax. The proprietor Dan Barrington, Esq., who purchased it through the Court from the former proprietors Lady Baker and others, has it let to Mr. P. Kilbride of same at £1 7s per acre, and he again to 13 others at will in farms of 13 to 3 acres, at £2 per acre. Co. Cess generally is ls.2d to !s.8d per acr 1/2 yearly, and Tithe 2s. per acre. Bog very scarce. Prevailing Name - Nolan.
Contains 286 acres, which are chiefly arable and without limestone. Soil very light, producing potatoes, corn and flax. The proprietor Richard Dixon, Esq., has it let to 4 tenants by leases of 3 lives at £45 gross. Co. Cess ls.2d to ls.8d per acre 1/2 yearly, for 67 acres. Tithe 2s. to 8d per acre. Bog used for fuel is very scarce.
Contains 252 acres, of which about 1/3 is bog; the rest arable with limestone. Soil, partly deep and wet, producing potatoes, corn and flax. The proprietors, the Executors of Sir E. Smyth, Bart., deceased, have it let per R. Poe, Esq., Agent, (bequeathed by the above for Charity Land), to Darby O'Grady, Esq., at 18s per acre; and he again to 5 others by leases expiring in 1840 at £1 10s per acre. Co. Cess generally Is 2d to Is 8d per acre 1/2 yearly, and Tithe 2s per acre. Bog in abundance.
Situated in the south end of the parish. It bounded on the east by Gortavalla East td.; west by Castlegarde td.; north by the tds. of Dark Island and Cooga Lower; and south by the td. of Gortavalla South. Contains 310 acres, of which about 1/2 is bog, and the rest is arable, with some limestone. Soil is light, producing potatoes, corn and flax. The proprietors the Governors of the Schools instituted by the E. Smyth, Esq., have it let per R. Poe, Esq., agent to Mrs. J. Hunt, and she again to 32 tenants by leases expiring in 1840, at £2 to £1 7s per acre and in farms of 16 to 1 acre. Co. Cess generally Is. 2d. to Is. 8d. per acre 1/2 yearly for the arable land, and Tithe 2s per do. Bog in abundance. Prevailing Names - Ryans.
This townsland contains 408 acres, of which about five-sixths are mountain and rough pasture, the rest being arable land, without limestone. The proprietor General Bourke has it let by a lease renewable for ever to Thos. Lloyd, Esq., and he again per his agent to 10 tenants by leases of 3 lives or 31 years at £92 gross. Co. Cess generally Is. 2d. to Is. 8d. per acre 1/2 yearly for 33 acres and Tithe is £6 gross. Bog used for fuel is in abundance. Prevailing Names - Ryans and Kirbys.
Contains 70 acres, of which about 2/3 are bog, 1/3 arable. Soil, partly light and gravally, without limestone, producing potatoes, corn and flax. The proprietors The Governors of the Schools instituted by Erasmus Smyth, Esq., have it let per their agent R. Poe, Esq., to Thomas Lloyd, Esq., and he agian per his agent Edwd. Maunsell, Esq., has it let to 2 tenants by leases of 3 lives at the gross rent of £38 without any County Cess. Tithe £1 Os 8d gross. Bog for fuel in abundance.
Contains 357 acres, of which about 1/4 is bog and rough pasture; the rest arable. Soil pretty wet and shallow, without limestone, producing potatoes, corn and flax. The proprietor Lord" Stradbrook has it let per his agent Abraham Coates, Esq., to 30 tenants at the gross rent of £60. Tithe included. Farms vary from 10 to 5 and to 11/2. Co. Cess generally Is 7d per acre 1/2 yearly for 40 acres. Bog in abundance. The Prevailing Names - Ryans.